How do you raise your daughter as a feminist when she's constantly bombarded with non-feminist messages and images? Let's use this blog to share thoughts, advice and resources to help us all succeed.

1/04/2010

For Role Models, Look to the Lecture Circuit


It's important to expose girls to strong, positive women role models. When my kids were young, I'd take them into the office so they could see the important roles that women played as managers. And I was really proud when my daughter opted to be Hillary Clinton for Halloween--pants suit and all!  One great way to expose your daughter to prominent women is through the local lecture circuit. Many colleges, associations, libraries and bookstores hold public lectures featuring successful women in all walks of life--scientists, authors, businesswomen, government officials, etc. Your child may even be able to meet and talk to some of the women, which will further peak her interest. My daughter is interested in the environment, so in March I'm taking her to a lecture by Annie Leonard (shown above) at the 92nd Street Y. She's an environmentalist and creator of The Story of Stuff, a popular video on Youtube. So check out your local organizations and see who's coming to your area!



2 comments:

  1. Great ideas...thank you! What I believe is integral to raising a feminist daughter in 2010, is what I remember my mother drilling into me as I was growing up; always believe in yourself and hold your head up high. I try to instill this in my daughter through leading by example. I've worked in the brokerage industry-a male dominated testosterone filled environment. She sees I compete with men everyday and never back down. It takes a lot of self determination, and a belief in yourself to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas...thank you! What I believe is integral to raising a feminist daughter in 2010, is what I remember my mother drilling into me as I was growing up; always believe in yourself and hold your head up high. I try to instill this in my daughter through leading by example. I've worked in the brokerage industry-a male dominated testosterone filled environment. She sees I compete with men everyday and never back down. It takes a lot of self determination, and a belief in yourself to succeed.

    ReplyDelete